8 Apr 2010

Be Simple ... Apparel

Guest post generously contributed by Will Bildsten, a 14 year old entrepreneur who wants to make a difference in this world by being simple, founder and owner of Be Simple Apparel. You can follow and support this simple initiative on Facebook and Twitter.

Being simple to make a difference
I must admit, I have always wanted things to be simpler. I have bipolar disorder. Life can be a bumpy road for me. Heck, the littlest bumps on the road can really affect me. I have always wanted to be nicer to myself about my mistakes. I have always wanted to handle every day situations like everyone else. I have always always wanted to live life without any erratic bumps on the road. Who knew at age 14, I, Will Bildsten, would start a t-shirt company eventually to be named Be Simple Apparel?

It was a regular day, and I opened up Microsoft Word. I wrote in a big, sans-serif font: Be Simple. Although I generally try to avoid printing, I decided to print this. I taped it on my bedroom door. I left it there and lived my life. Eventually, I wanted to do something with the idea of being simple. I started sketching. I experimented with different designs to express being simple. I decided that in order to fully express being simple, I needed a color (black) and a symbol (the ying-yang) to add more depth. I changed it a bit and created my final concept. I was able to get Ned, who works with my dad, to digitalize the designs.

Later on, I started to wonder how I could express this design. I eventually concluded that t-shirts are expressive, therefore perfect for the job. After researching t-shirts, I realized that cotton is full of pesticides, and polyester is technically oil. I needed to find a material that would be green yet comfortable. I weighed three fabrics: hemp, bamboo, and organic cotton. Hemp is environmentally friendly, but it is too rough. Bamboo, in fact, is awful for the environment, due to its manufacturing processes. I concluded that organic cotton was perfect: comfy enough and green enough. Next, I researched suppliers. After searching for hours, I found Organic Apparel: organic cotton tees that are made in the USA. I could print the tees using water-based inks at DSPE (Denver Screen Printing & Embroidery).
I knew that the t-shirts would be eco-friendly and union-made, but I still had work to do: that legal stuff. I, of course, learned a lot while I was forming an LLC and setting up state taxes. Eventually, I had everything together, but then my dad’s co-workers--working at an ad agency--confronted me that the design needed work. Hence, my new designs were created. And yes, designs. I expanded my line with even more simple messages: be green, be compassionate, be inspired, be peaceful, and be happy. I also changed the design philosophy, resulting in only displaying “be” with a symbol inside the letter b. Each be has its own color, further representing its philosophy. Next, I finished made website and set up all of the social networks. Finally, we set up a charity program to allocate 2% of sales to help relieve Haiti (through the Clinton Bush Haiti Fund). In the end, everything was ready, so we ordered the first 100 tees and planned a launch party for us to introduce and sell our first products.

The launch party was a success. All of my friends and family came. We (me, my mom, and my dad) properly represented the brand in every way. Next, we would have to fulfill pre-orders at the party and start selling online.

Now, our second batch of t-shirts came, and I am working to spread the word of Be Simple Apparel. Business is good for a recession, and the business has really helped me to be simple, be green, be compassionate, be peaceful, be inspired, and be happy. This experience has shaped me in so many ways. I am going to have to improve my business in every possible way. I am also going to have to get the t-shirts selling in retail stores. Oh, and I’ll be 15 soon ... darn.

1 comments:

Will said...

The second picture is of the two original designs. I am wearing one of the finalized designs: specifically the be inspired tee.
Thanks Radhika for this opportunity!
Will