5 Aug 2010

Living dangerously

[Image source: MSN News]
Many of us who are able to access internet and read blog posts like this one usually come from the section of the society that ensures our children are brought up in a safe environment and are not exposed to many outrageously dangerous circumstances. However not many children from developing countries around the world are as lucky. This fact is sometimes made too clear for comfort to us by news reports like the one I came across on MSN news yesterday. The images are very telling.

What surprised me a bit was that only 2 out of the 12 images were from India, my own country which is still considered developing, while most were from far east Asian and African countries. Many a time we are desensitised to the problems of people outside of our country by constant bombardment of the media reports of how badly our own country is doing. I watched image after image of kids from Manila, Kenya and so on playing in extremely polluted environs which they had improvised so ingeniously into a playground. Lot of thoughts came into my mind as I did so.

First one was more of a realization than mere thought. My reaction to pictures from the Indian subcontinent and Africa and those from around Asia was very different. I was sort of assuming that African, Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi kids would be growing up and playing in such horribly detrimental circumstances. But when it came to pictures from Asian countries like Manila, Viet nam and Jakarta, my first reaction was that of astonishment. For some reason I never imagined that the situation might be worse than that on Indian subcontinent. Then gradually as that fact sunk in the second thought came to the fore. The importance of how a country or its people are represented in media. I know that this is not particularly a “eureka” thought. But I was just made to realise it once again. Countries from Africa and the Indian subcontinent (probably except India) are more often than not spotlighted for their poverty in all senses. Although the poverty and lack in India is also highlighted many a times in the media there are times when it is in the news for its scientific and technological advancements as well. On the other hand, Asian countries are more often than not portrayed as either technological giants (Japan, Korea etc.) or extremely beautiful tourist destinations (Thailand, Malaysia and the like). So when one sees images like those in this MSN news report the initial reaction is that of surprise.

Of course the main aim behind sharing these images with you is to make you aware of what legacy the previous and current generation of human beings has left for their descendants. It’s not just the planet and the fellow Earthlings that we have affected but our own selves and our offspring. I sincerely hope these images haunt you at least for some days to come ... and may be inspire you to do something about it.

4 comments:

graceonline said...

My heart breaks seeing these images. Though I've seen hundreds like them over the years, the shock is always as if it's the first time. How is it possible we can fund mega wars and not clean up our dumps and feed and house our children?

Tweeted, and I'll plan to post soon on this myself.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the support, Kathryn :). Do let me know when you post it on your blog. Would love to read and comment. And yes, the images are truly disturbing :(. As I have said in my post, we usually have a very utopian image of these Asian countries in our minds. But sadly THIS is the reality!

graceonline said...

I had hoped to use the story in a post today, but so far I have had no luck finding a contact button of any kind on MSN for image copyright permissions. Then, sudden inspiration: I realized you must already have found the right source. Would you mind sharing your source for the image permission so I may contact them as well?

Unknown said...

Honestly, all I do when using an image in my post is to mention what the image source is with a link to it. In never wrote to anyone for permission :( ...I thought giving the right credit and not claming the image to be mine was enough. Anyways, I had forgotten to do so in this post which I realised because of your comment. So THANKS A BUNCH!!! :) I've done that now and given the link to the story as there's where I got the image from. Hope this helps(?)